Postgraduate Dentists/Doctors
1 min read

Postgraduate Dentists/Doctors

Postgraduate Doctors and Dentists

For entry to the United Kingdom as a postgraduate doctor or dentist, you will need:

  • A UK degree in medicine or dentistry
  • To have spent at least 2 years in the UK studying for your medical or dental degree, and
  • A letter from the Postgraduate Dean responsible for your training to confirm that you have been offered a full-time place on a Foundation Programme in the United Kingdom.

You must also:

  • Plan to leave the UK after your Foundation Programme, if you have not been given permission to stay on in another employment or self-employment category, and
  • Be able to support yourself and any dependants, and live without needing help from public funds.

If a government or international sponsorship agency sponsored your studies at a medical or dental school, you need to have the sponsor’s permission to study a Foundation Programme in the United Kingdom.

If you are a totally competent doctor or dentist and you wish to get a job or take higher specialist training, you will need a work permit. You can get more information about work permits from our Work permit holders (INF 13) guidance

If you plan to set up in general practice, you will require meeting the requirements for entry to the United Kingdom as a self-employed person. For more information see the Setting up in business (INF10) guidance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *