What is a Global Talent Visa?
The Global Talent Visa has replaced the previous Tier 1 (exceptional talent) visa. It allows a path of entry into the UK for those who work in specific industries. The global talent visa route has become significantly popular, with applicants having to fill stringent eligibility guidance to meet the exceptional talent criteria or to be able to show exceptional promise.
Typically, the first step of the process to acquire a Global Talent Visa involves receiving an endorsement from one of the six official endorsement associations. You can do this by submitting an endorsement application.
Eligibility requirements for the Global Talent Visa
You must meet the eligibility criteria to apply for a Global Talent Visa. The specific eligibility criteria you must meet may depend on the field in which you wish to receive approval. You must be an exceptional talent or meet the exceptional promise criteria.
- Below we describe each sector with its requirements for an eligible applicant.
- Sciences, medicine, engineering and humanities
- You must be an industry leader or active researcher in your field. This must be done through a suitable organization or company
- To demonstrate your exceptional talent, you must be able to showcase an award or body of work with media coverage from at least two countries
- You must obtain three letters of recommendation
Art and culture
- You must show exceptional promise or exceptional talent (with evidence from at least one country)
- At least five years of professional commitment: this must be consistent
- You must be able to demonstrate your professional commitment through the production of exceptional and creative works of art
- You should have good experience of your work in at least one country
- Three official letters of recommendation from approved organizations
- If you are applying as a candidate for a digital technology company, you must have proof of business investment or product development experience
- If you are applying as a technical candidate in the field of digital technology, you must demonstrate to Tech Nation that you have a high level of expertise in building technical infrastructure
- You must provide an updated CV with a clear description of your achievements to date in the field of digital technology
- Global Talent applicants must provide three letters of recommendation from authorized organizations in the digital technology industry. Tech Nation will review your previous performance in the field
Fashion and Design
- Can demonstrate five years of professional commitment to the fashion industry as a leading entity with exceptional talent
- If you are applying because you show exceptional promise, you should provide evidence of media coverage or sponsorship from a recognized fashion organization
- Three letters of recommendation from approved organizations to demonstrate to bodies such as Arts Council England that you are eligible for the Global Talent Visa category
Cinema and television
You should have won a mainstream award or been nominated for one in the last ten years (BAFTA, Academy Award or Golden Globe, etc.)
Global Talent applicants must submit three letters of recommendation from approved organizations
Who can apply for a Global Talent Visa?
To apply for a Global Talent Visa, you must be over 18 years old. You must be considered to have exceptional talent, as a leader, or exceptional promise, as a potential future leader in one of the following industry sectors:
- Art and culture
- Academy and research
- Digital technology
You must apply to the correct approving body to obtain an approval letter outlining your eligibility for a global talent visa in a specific field. These fields may include engineering, science, medicine, humanities, architecture, film, TV, or fashion.
To apply you must have a requirement of 70 points through at least one of the following methods:
- You have been awarded an award listed in the immigration regulations in the prestigious awards category
- You are submitting an initial application with an official approval. The application date must not be more than 3 months after the date of the approval letter
- You can request an extension as long as you meet the minimum earnings requirements
What documents are required for a global talent visa?
Global Talent Visa applicants are required to submit a selection of required documents together with the Global Talent Visa application. The documents you need to submit will again depend on the approving body you are applying to.
Art and culture
- Three letters of recommendation
- A maximum of ten documents demonstrating your notable achievements to Arts Council England
- An updated CV describing your achievements
- Evidence of an established business in the field of digital technology
- A maximum of ten documents demonstrating your skills and qualifications in your sector
- Three letters of recommendation that confirm your ability to be an industry leader in digital technology
Researcher and academic leader
- A letter to UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) from your organisation’s HR manager giving a description of how you acquired the role, your duties and the nature of your role
- Details of your work and exceptional results
A confirmation letter setting out how you might excel and contribute in a UK-based job role – this must be from an industry leader who can state how they know you
You must be able to demonstrate that you will receive a grant of at least £30,000 from your funder, which must last at least two years
Along with documents for the specified field, you will be required to submit your valid passport and tuberculosis test results to the Home Office in support of your Global Talent Visa application.
How to apply for a UK Global Talent Visa?
The process of applying for a UK Global Visa is divided into two parts:
- Request approval from an organization recognized as an expert in your chosen field.
- Apply for Global Talent Visa.
- Request for approval
- You need to get an endorsement to attest to the fact that you are indeed a leader or a potential leader in your field. To apply, you need to visit the UK Home Office Visas and Immigration website and register using your email address.
- You must submit the required documents (see below) and pay the approval fee. If you don’t have all the documents, you can close the application and start where you left off later.
- Then, depending on the field you will be working in, the UK Home Office will forward your approval request to one of these so-called “approving bodies” for review.
- Processing your approval request can take anywhere from one to eight weeks, depending on the organization reviewing your application.
Apply for a Global Talent Visa
Once you have received approval, you must apply for a UK visa by submitting the approval letter and all required supporting documents. You must apply no earlier than three months before you leave for the UK. You and all of your dependents can apply at the same time
You will usually receive your visa within three weeks.
How long is a global visa?
A Global Talent Visa for the UK is valid for five years, with the possibility of renewal. If you are applying as a leader or exceptional talent, you can apply for settlement in the UK after three years of residence. If you apply as a potential leader, you can apply for the agreement after five years.
UK Global Visa Fees
The overall fee for a global visa is £608 per person:
- £456 to approve
- £152 visa (£97 if you are from Turkey or North Macedonia)
Can I bring my family to the UK on a Global Talent Visa?
Yes, if you are eligible for a Global Talent Visa, you can bring your family to the UK with you and you can all apply at the same time. This includes your spouse and any minor or dependent children. For each of your dependents, you must pay an additional application fee of £608 and bring the relevant documents with you.
Can I upgrade to a Global Talent Visa?
If you are already in the UK via one of the following visas, you can apply to upgrade to a Global Talent Visa:
- Tier 1 visa
- Tier 2 visa
- Level 5 for temporary workers on a government-sanctioned exchange (sponsored researcher exchange program)
- Startup visa
- Visa for innovators