Tier 1 Investor Visa provides a route for high-net-worth individuals to enter the UK and accelerate their path to liquidation. The UK has always been extremely attractive to those wishing to obtain citizenship through investment. The United Kingdom is very close to Europe, has a market of 500 million inhabitants enjoys a stable government, is free from corruption, and has a solid rule of law. Add to all this world-class private schools and universities, a thriving property market, and an abundance of sporting and cultural activities.
Key benefits of the UK Tier 1 investor visa
Perhaps the biggest benefit of the investor visa is the ability to gain indefinite leave to remain (ILR) after just 2 years with an investment of £10 million. As such, this provides the shortest route to permanent settlement of all UK visas. Furthermore, the English language is not required for the investor visa.
The other UK Tier 1 investor visa offers a wide range of benefits, including the ability to:
- Residence in the UK for an initial period of 3 years and 4 months
- Request to extend your visa for another 2 years before your visa expires
- Work: As an investor visa holder, you will be free to work in any type of role or company (including changing jobs and employers as you wish), assuming you have the necessary qualifications for the job. The only exception is that you cannot work as a professional athlete or sports coach. This is very advantageous compared to a work visa which allows you to work only for a specific sponsoring license holder and within certain types of employment.
- Engaging in business activities – this may include setting up a new business in the UK, purchasing an existing business or forming a partnership with another entrepreneur
- Study: As an investor visa holder, you and your family members will be free to enroll in a short- or long-term course of study at a UK university or other educational institution.
- Travel freely to and from the UK
- Bring your family members with you to the UK: you will be able to bring your partner and dependent children with you to the UK. As such, they will be able to benefit from and enjoy the excellent standard of living, education, housing and healthcare available in the UK.
- Earn ILR after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- Earn ILR after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- Earn ILR after 5 years if you invest £2 million
What are the Tier 1 investor visa requirements?
To qualify for a Tier 1 investor visa, you must have:
- At least £2 million of your money, available for immediate dispersal in the UK and currently held in a regulated financial institution
- A UK bank account at a regulated bank (if you haven’t already done so, our team can make the necessary bank introductions)
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be able to demonstrate that the £2m in investment funds belongs to you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
How do I apply for a Tier 1 investor visa?
You must apply for a Tier 1 Investor Visa online (unless you are from North Korea). When completing an application, it is critical to submit the correct documents to support your submission. Otherwise, your application may be immediately rejected, wasting valuable time.
- Once your application has been received, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) may invite you to submit your biometric details. This can be done at a Visa Application Center based in your country.
- As soon as your biometric data is received, your complete application will be considered. Decisions are generally received within three weeks. Our experienced team will assist you every step of the way.
Can I accelerate my application for British citizenship with a Tier 1 investor visa?
Citizenship by investment is an extremely attractive route for high-net-worth individuals to obtain a British passport and all the benefits it brings. Depending on your investment, with fast-track pathways, you and your family can obtain an indefinite residence permit (ILR) within two or three years, provided all requirements are met.
- An investment of £10 million means you can claim ILR within two years, while an investment of £5 million will allow you to claim ILR within three years.
- If you have invested £2 million, provided you meet the set criteria, you may be able to extend your visa after three years for a further two years.
- After a total of five years, Investor Visa holders can apply for ILR. After 12 months of ILR, you can apply for British citizenship.
What documents do I need to provide when applying for a Tier 1 investor visa?
You will need to provide evidence of the following when applying for a Tier 1 investor visa (this list is not exhaustive):
- A valid passport or other travel document
- The result of the tuberculosis test, if requested
- A criminal record certificate from any country in which you have resided for 12 months or more in the last ten years
- That you have at least £2 million in funds that can be invested for free in the UK
- If the money is your partner’s, you will need to show that they agree to let you use the money and present a marriage certificate or proof that you are in a long-term relationship
The Tier 1 Investor Visa offers great opportunities
The Tier 1 Investor Visa offers an excellent opportunity for high net-worth individuals looking to move to the UK, make permitted investments, and acquire British citizenship. The investor route gives you access to unlimited job opportunities, enjoy peace of mind with free state education and healthcare, and travel for up to six months of the year.
In this esteemed visa category, there are minimum requirements. You won’t need to pass an English language test, you won’t have to show proof of education and there are no age restrictions.
What are my options if my Tier 1 investor visa application is rejected?
If your Tier 1 investor visa application is refused, you can request an administrative review or judicial review of the decision, or reapply, depending on the reason for the refusal. Our lawyers will quickly assess what led to UK Visas and Immigration rejecting your application and advise you on the best course of action to take.
Expert guidance for Tier 1 Investor Visa and super premium service
Our highly trained lawyers at A Y & J Solicitors can ensure that your application for the Tier 1 investor visa is a simple, efficient and successful process. We will carefully explain all requirements, offer assistance at every stage of the application and advise you on the optimal documentation and application inclusions.
When it comes to extending your Tier 1 investor visa, our premium service offerings will make the process as smooth as possible; you can get the extension decision usually within 24 hours.